Faux painting or Faux finishing are terms used to describe a wide range of decorative painting techniques. The naming comes from the French word faux, meaning false, as these techniques started as a form of replicating materials such as marble and wood with paint, but has subsequently come to encompass many other decorative finishes for walls and furniture.
In modern day faux finishing, there are two major materials/processes used. Glaze work involves using a translucent mixture of paint and glaze applied with a brush, roller, rag, or sponge, and often mimics textures, but it always smooth to the touch. Plaster work can be done with tinted plasters, or washed over with earth pigments, and is generally applied with a trowel or spatula. The finished result can be either flat to the touch or textured.
Here is a list of some of the faux finishes available in Atlanta
- or faux marbling is used to make walls and furniture look like real marble. This can be done using either plaster or glaze techniques.
- , wood graining, or faux bois (French for “fake wood”) is often used to imitate exotic or hard-to-find wood varieties.
- , “trick the eye” in French, is a realistic painting technique often used in murals, and to create architectural details.
- is a smooth and often shiny plaster design that appears textured but is smooth to the touch. Venetian plaster is one of the most popular and traditional plaster decorations.
- is a free-form finish that creates subtle variations of color using multiple hues of glaze blended with a paint brush.
- , from the French word meaning “stripe” or “streak”, is a glazing technique that creates soft thin streaks of color using a paint brush. It is a technique often used to simulate fabrics such as linen and denim.
- or ragging is a glazing technique using twisted or bunched up rags to create a textural pattern.
- Textured finish
- Textured Walls
- Metallic finish
- Gold Leaf
- Silver Leaf
- Copper Leaf
- Antique Finish
- Aging Faux
- Wood Grain
- Faux Bois
- Plaster Finish
- Venetian Plaster
- Stencil work Faux Finish
- And other painting finishes
All these faux finishes are available in Atlanta and the Area surrounding Atlanta.